|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
> Boulware Springs
Boulware Springs, located on Southeast 15th Street and just north of Paynes Prairie, is now a city park and the beginning (or ending) point of the Hawthorne Trail, a 16-mile bicycle and walking trail. The spring at Boulware was essential to Gainesville's existence from its very beginning. First of all, in 1854 there was a gathering at Boulware to vote on relocating the county seat for Alachua County, and on that day the citizens of the area voted to create a new town-it would replace Newnansville as the county seat, and it would be called "Gainesville." Secondly, Boulware was essential to Gainesville's development with its clear, running spring, the source for the town's water for many years (until 1913). The spring is named for an early settler.
(click image to view larger size)