|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Education > Gainesville High School
- Undated Postcard
High School - Undated Postcard
In 1944 Prof. Fritz W. Buchholz wrote an article on the history of high schools in Alachua County for the "Southern Association Quarterly," the journal of the Southern Association of Colleges & Secondary Schools, published by Duke University. An article based on Buchholz' paper appeared in the "Gainesville Sun" on May 2, 1954, when Gainesville celebrated its centennial. Buchholz noted that there were few high schools in the State of Florida in 1900, and those that did exist were substandard. Public attitudes did not favor public schooling. But in the earliest years of the 20th century, public schools began to become more accepted, and slowly grades were added to existing grammar schools. What we would think of as a Gainesville "high school" would probably date from about 1905 or 1906, and it was a part of the only public school for white children in Gainesville at the time. It was known as the Gainesville Graded & High School and was located in today's Kirby Smith building. Schools were segregated, and African American children attended the Union Academy.
A separate high school building was not built until 1922, and it is seen in this photograph. Costing $80,000, it was inadequate from the beginning, and in 1928 two wings, an auditorium, and a cafeteria were added. It was bordered by West University Avenue, Southwest 2nd Avenue, and 7th and 8th Streets. It was occupied by F. W. Buchholz Junior High School after the third Gainesville High School was built in the 1950s at 1900 Northwest 13th Street. Later it was part of Santa Fe Junior College. This a view of the north and west sides. This undated postcard was copied with the permission of Archie L. Jackson.
(click image to view larger size)