|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Churches > First Presbyterian Church
on Sunday Morning
Presbyterian Church on Sunday Morning
The first church building constructed in the Gainesville area was the Kanapaha Presbyterian Church which was built in 1859; it is still in use and is located at 6221 Southwest 75th Street. The first church building in the town of Gainesville, built in 1860, was located on the east side of Southeast 1st Street, just northeast of the Hippodrome; it also was a Presbyterian church, but since it was the only church building in Gainesville it was used by Methodists, Episcopalians, and Baptists alike. The Presbyterian Church in this photograph stood on the northeast corner of the intersection of West University Avenue and 2nd Street for 64 years (1890-1954). Located at 234 West University Avenue, it was the second Presbyterian Church building in Gainesville.
(click image to view larger size)