|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Law Enforcement > Fire Department
The Fire Chief had bought a motor car, but the rest of the Fire Department was still dependent on horse-drawn wagons when this photograph was taken about 1910. Motorized equipment put the horses out to pasture within a few years. The building in the background was the home of the Gainesville Fire Department. It also served as a town hall for many years-the City Council met in a room upstairs until 1927 when a proper city hall was built. The location of the fire station was the southwest corner of the intersection of Southeast 1st Street and 2nd Avenue.
(click image to view larger size)