|ACLD Home Page | Research Center | Catalog Search | About the Collection|
Blueprints > U.S. Post Office, Miscellaneous Details, Drawing No. 316
U.S. Post Office, Miscellaneous Details, Drawing No. 316
This blueprint, "Miscellaneous Details, Drawing No. 316," was drawn for the construction, between May 1908 and March 1911, of the U. S. Post Office in Gainesville.
It is not clear where Gainesville's first post office was located, but there were several locations before this beautiful building was constructed. In 1889 there was a post office on Southeast 1st Street in the first block south of today's University Avenue. In 1895 they moved to a site on East University Avenue, and later moved again to Southeast 1st Street. From there, they moved, in 1911, to the new building seen in these blueprints.
After more than 50 years of service, a new Post Office was built. For several years demolition was a threat to the old building, but concerned citizens worked hard to save it. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and has been the home of the Hippodrome State Theater since 1980. It is one of the finest examples of the Beaux Arts Classical style in the State of Florida.
All of the Post Office blueprints are stamped "James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, Treasury Department." The building is located at 25 Southeast 2nd Place.
(click image to view larger size)